Marriage-Based Immigration

U.S. Immigration Options through Marriage

Spouses of U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States are generally able to obtain lawful permanent residency in the United States based on their marriage.  There are generally three procedures for accomplishing this:

  • Adjustment of Status for Foreign Spouses – when the foreign national is present in the U.S.
  • Immigrant Visas for Foreign Spouses – obtained at a U.S. Consulate when the foreign spouse is either outside the U.S. or is not eligible to adjust status inside the U.S.
  • Fiancé(e) Visas – available if the couple is not yet married.  This is also obtained at a U.S. Consulate abroad (only available to fiancé(e)s of U.S. citizens)

For all three of these options, it is essential to show from the start and at every step in the process that the couple is in a genuine, committed relationship and that they live (or intend live) in a true marital union.

The key to successfully navigating these processes is to submit a comprehensive and well-balanced assortment of evidence with your initial petition package.  Our goal is to make it abundantly clear from the start that you are a genuine couple who just want to be together.  In our experience, this strategy offers the best chance for a smooth and successful immigration process.

We work closely with our clients to identify the best documentation for their case and compile the strongest presentation of your relationship based on your unique circumstances.  This often includes preparing sworn affidavits from you and those who know you and identifying other supporting materials unique to your situation.  Taking the time to present these materials in a professional, comprehensive way ensures that the U.S. immigration officials will quickly understand who the two of you are.  This leaves no doubt that you and your loved one are eligible for marriage-based immigration benefits.

At Merrick Immigration Law, we diligently work with you to complete the required steps as an integral part of our client service.  Contact Merrick Immigration Law to speak with an experienced immigration professional and learn more about these marriage-based immigration options.

Click these links for more information about:

Please note that these articles address only situations in which the spouse of a U.S. citizen (or permanent resident) seeks U.S. residency based solely on marriage.  Foreign spouses can also obtain permanent residency based on marriage to another foreign national who is eligible for permanent residency through other family members, employment, investment or other methods available under U.S. immigration law.

No comments yet.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.