Investment Visa

Investment Visas

How can I get a U.S. work visa by opening a business? There are a number of ways that foreign nationals can obtain U.S. work visas by starting a business.  Under U.S. immigration rules, these four methods are commonly used: 1) E-2 Investment Visa 2) E-1 Trader Visa 3) L-1 Intercompany Transfer Visa 4) EB-5 Investor Visa for Employment Creation E-2 Investment Visas The E-2 investor visa allows foreign nationals from 80 countries to start businesses in the U.S.  The purpose of the E-2 visa is to enhance economic and commercial interaction between the two countries.  A key element of this visa is that the visa applicant be a citizen of one of the 80 countries with which the U.S. has a reciprocal treaty.  The U.S. Department of State maintains a list of these 80 countries.  The U.S. business must be at least fifty percent owned by citizens of the same nationality as visa applicant. The E-2 visa applicant must show demonstrate a prior investment or he or she is actively “in the process of investing” in a U.S. business.   Thus, an E-2 visa may be obtained before actually starting business activities.  At Merrick Immigration Law, we assist our clients develop unique strategies to lay sufficient groundwork for the business investment, while still retaining some flexibility before the visa is issued. Opening a small business in the U.S. can make you eligible for a visa. Investment Must Be “Substantial” The E-2 visa applicant must also demonstrate that the investment is “substantial.”  There is no specific minimum amount for an investment to be “substantial.”  We assist our clients in evaluating whether their business idea is likely to meet this requirement. A related requirement is that the E-2 business has the capacity to be more than just marginal enterprise. That is, it must be large enough to support others beyond just the investor