Matt Merrick

About Matt Merrick

This author Matt Merrick has created 24 entries.

Fiancé(e) Visas

How do I apply for a visa for my foreign fiancé(e) to immigrate to the United States? U.S. citizens can apply for a fiancé(e) visa for someone they have met in-person within the previous two years and they intend to marry within 90 days of the fiancé(e) entering the United States. This process also has three main steps.  First, the U.S. citizen files a petition with the U.S. immigration service seeking recognition of the relationship.  Again, the evidence submitted must demonstrate a genuine

Immigrant Visas for Foreign Spouses

How do I apply for an immigrant visa for my foreign spouse to enter the United States? Spouses of U.S. citizens or permanent residents may also become a permanent resident by applying for an Immigrant Visa at a U.S. Consulate.  An Immigrant Visa allows the holder to become a permanent resident upon arrival in the United States.  The advantage of this process is that the spouse authorized to work immediately and there is no waiting period to travel abroad again. There are

Marriage-Based Immigration

U.S. Immigration Options through Marriage Spouses of U.S. citizens and permanent residents of the United States are generally able to obtain lawful permanent residency in the United States based on their marriage.  There are generally three procedures for accomplishing this: Adjustment of Status for Foreign Spouses – when the foreign national is present in the U.S. Immigrant Visas for Foreign Spouses – obtained at a U.S. Consulate when the foreign spouse is either outside the U.S. or is not eligible to adjust status

Adjustment of Status based on Marriage

Adjustment of status based on marriage

How can my spouse apply for lawful permanent residency (green card) based on our marriage? Of the three methods, adjustment of status often can be the most efficient procedure.  The process is available to most foreign-national spouses who have already entered the United States lawfully.  This generally means that he or she entered the U.S. with a visa, although others may qualify in certain circumstances. Adjustment of status based on marriage The time-line for this process varies from six months to a year.

Investment Visas

How can I get a U.S. work visa by opening a business? There are a number of ways that foreign nationals can obtain U.S. work visas by starting a business.  Under U.S. immigration rules, these four methods are commonly used: 1) E-2 Investment Visa 2) E-1 Trader Visa 3) L-1 Intercompany Transfer Visa 4) EB-5 Investor Visa for Employment Creation E-2 Investment Visas The E-2 investor visa allows foreign nationals from 80 countries to start businesses in the U.S.  The purpose of the E-2 visa is to enhance

USCIS Fee Increases

USCIS Filing Fees Increase

USCIS Announces Increases in Filing Fees USCIS has announced increases in the filing fees for many immigration benefits.  It also announced a new reduced filing fee for Naturalization.  The fee schedule will raise the fee amount for 40 different USCIS forms, effective December 23, 2016.  The average increase in fees is $476.  However, this figure is skewed by substantial increases in fees for the EB-5 Investor Visa program.  Not counting those increases, the average increase is $205 and the average percentage

Deportation Impact on Housing Market

Mass Deportations Have Had a Big impact on the U.S. Housing Market, Study Shows Interesting article on the impact of deportations on the U.S. housing market by TheUpshot, a division of the New York Times.  TheUpshot reported on new research regarding the relationship between deportations and home foreclosures.  The article reports that the dramatic increase in deportations of undocumented immigrants over the last decade exacerbated home foreclosures. In “Counties that collaborated with ICE in what became a large-scale deportation sweep experienced a

U.S. Visa-Free Travel Limited

Some travelers now must obtain a visa to enter the U.S

New Restrictions on Visa-Free Travel to the U.S. In 2015, the Congress passed a law barring certain people from entering the U.S. without a visa under the Visa Waiver Program.  Under the new law,  if during the last 5 years a person has visited one of seven specified Middle Eastern countries, he or she must apply for a visa to enter the United States.   The seven countries currently include Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.  Countries are placed on the list when